Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Midweek at Northstar


I took a day off today and grabbed a local bus to Northstar. It was an older group, and a fun mini midweek trip, but conditions were firm, almost Vermont like. They have not had any fresh snow for a month, so snow making and grooming are really needed. With thaw/freeze cycles, and no grooming, slopes quickly become too icy to turn on, so I only wandered off those treated trails once, which was a mistake. In the East, generally if they don't groom, they don't have thaw/freeze cycles, so one doesn't see as much sun baked trails as I saw today. Temperatures were 30F with bright sun and blue skies, which was better than what we experienced in Utah recently.

There are a few pictures, which can be seen from the link above. I also used the google app, MyTracks, while at the mountain to keep track of where I went as well as provide various statistics. While skiing I logged ~20 horizontal miles, 19k vertical feet (conditions were fast/firm indeed), and hit a peak speed of 33mph at some point. The "steepest" gradient was 24 degrees, which is fine. I would post a more specific track of my path, except I'm having issues exporting the data out of my HTC EVO, and have tried all the major data formats.