Monday, August 07, 2006

Jane Carlson's Beautiful Watercolors

Most ski posters, or prints, vintage or otherwise, are unlikely to be watercolors. Jane Carlson was an unusual artist for ski prints in that she tended to work in this medium, which I normally associate with land/sea scapes.

These prints remind me of the way the mountain looks when you have a little mist in your goggles, adding the slight euphoric blurriness as you zoom down the hill. This one is called "New Snow".

I don't know where she did her painting, but there is something quintessentially Vermont about these. They always remind me of the loping gullies at Stowe when I see these. I have a litho of "Last Run" framed in the bedroom; it is a bit more haunting than this exuberant one.

PS: Added in 2019, Carlson is indeed a Vermont artist!  But I don't think she has made ski watercolors in a very long time.

No comments: