Saturday, January 31, 2009

Back from Colorado

I returned from Colorado late this afternoon, having enjoyed a wonderful week of skiing with college alumni at Beaver Creek and Vail. We mixed it up between the two resorts, but I think most of us enjoyed Vail more. The snow was fantastic at both areas (4 feet over the week!) but was even better at Vail. I also like the trails there better, and its hard to compare anything to their sunny backside. We spent a whole morning riding the Orient Express up and down, enjoying the wide open expanses. Despite the large amount of visitors they get -- 20,000 a day I'm told -- there is enough mountain space to scatter them out except for a few choke points, like Two Elk at lunch or the bottom of Born Free at days end.

I've visited Colorado off and on over the last dozen plus years, and this was easily the coldest and snowiest I've experienced it. The temperatures were more like frosty Quebec than the sunny Rockies. Above is Eagles Nest viewed from the top of the mountain, at approximately 11,000 feet, and cold and windy. I had to take the battery out of the camera and warm it up by rubbing it on my fleece to get the camera to register the voltage! I have put a few more pictures here.

No comments: